Last night I was asked on BBC’s Newsnight, its influential current affairs television program, what Rupert Murdoch should do wearing his corporate diplomat hat given he’s now being pursued by a high-profile range of interested parties — UK Parliament’s Culture/Media/Sport select committee, London’s Metropolitan Police and the FBI who all are very interested in the extent of his company’s phone hacking and police bribery practices. Is Rupert Murdoch’s defiance going to be seen as a Tony Hayward moment, the former BP executive wanting his life back? Clearly his newspaper brands in the US and UK have a lot more defending to do, with the mere whiff of wrongdoing taking the shine off both News International’s share price and the levels of trust in its brands. The UK impact of this drama hopefully will result in not only a change in the privacy laws and regulation of the media, but will shine a bright light on the nature of British news media ownership and the dysfunctions that imbalances of market power bring. Stay tuned!
Tag CloudAdvertising AIDA Cruises Allyson Allyson Stewart-Allen America Barclays BP brand BrandTravel brand travel Britain business corporate diplomacy crisis management cross-cultural insights Customer Service Economy expert Financial Times global Google Innovation insights International International Marketing International Marketing Partners local localisation localization management market analysis marketing Marketing Academy Marketing Week Market Leader Magazine market research Princess Cruises quality of life relationship building Rupert Murdoch Seabourn social currency stocks strategy transparency
- read @BBCTech's @LeoKelion on Yahoo's new patent to use social influence as basis for ad pricing. Very innovative! tinyurl.com/mu6a3vq 1 day ago
- @rjodonovan thanks Rob - enjoyed our conversation too! 1 week ago
- @leventkomur it's amazing and worrying for Turkey's global brand... 2 weeks ago
- @cemadden @merlinthementor So glad you enjoyed it Christine. Was good to have you there! 1 month ago
- RT @merlinthementor: Off up to London for today's #MerlinLecture with @museofmarketing. We'll be talking international marketing this after… 1 month ago